Did you know adhering to your maintenance agreement and changing your air filter in a timely manner can significantly improve the efficiency of your HVAC equipment, saving you up to $300 per year? Your air filter is key to maintaining your air quality, but how do you know how often to change it? Well, there are a few things you should consider. In general, air filters should be changed when they get dirty, but it’s not as simple as that. You need to consider your environment and check filters at least once a month, at a minimum.
• Economy Filters: Economy filters are relatively cheap because they come approximately five to a pack. They take care of the bare minimum when it comes to filtering dust and debris from the air, so you’ll need to check them at least once a month, if not more frequently.
• Pleated Filters: Pleated filters are a little better than economy filters, often lasting three to six months. They tend to trap dust in a more efficient manner.
• Non-Disposable Filters: These filters don’t need to be replaced but you will need to clean or wash them every month; however, most technicians don’t recommend them.
You may need to change the air filter more frequently if any of the following situations exist:
• You have allergies. If you have allergies, you may need to change the air filter more frequently to maintain fresh air that won’t irritate your allergies.
• You have pets. The fur and animal dander from your beloved pet could clog your air filters, creating the need to change them more frequently.
• You have a houseful. The more people who live in the house, the more dust and dirt will clog the air filter.
• You live in a polluted area. Pollution will cause your air filters to get dirty more often.
Our team at G + S offers comprehensive maintenance agreements for your heating/cooling system. Let us connect you with more information on how you can increase your unit’s life-span and performance with the right HVAC maintenance agreement.